Package Maintainers Flags policy

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue May 19 16:01:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> We'd need:
> 1. some kind of plugin to handle it
> 2. some sort of provides tag in the rpm
>
> that's a lot of crap to do in lieu of just not shipping the pkg.

OK, yeah I understand it's not simple to tweak the infrastructure.  On
the other hand I do think Freeciv is a good example of a free software
game of the kind we'd like Fedora to have available, and the flags are
not trivial to remove.  I guess this one comes down to the
case-by-case for FESCo.

Again though it would be useful though if someone involved in the
policy could explain how the -flags subpackages are planned to be
consumed.  I'm just guessing that the goal is for derived
distributions to be able to automatically strip them out, and as I
said in that case it seems like it would be fine for them if they
could also strip out Freeciv given some tag in the package (along with
cases like the educational games with flags), while keeping it
available (i.e. on the mirrors) in Fedora "upstream".