Problem with build-id and cycling the free pascal compiler

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Tue May 19 18:59:49 UTC 2009

Op dinsdag 19-05-2009 om 11:31 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef Roland
McGrath:
> > Offcourse. I've placed a .tgz file here:
> > http://menora.cnoc.nl/extern/DifferentBuildIDsExample.tgz
> >
> > It contains the source of a hello-world application. (hello.pp) And two
> > binaries (hello and hello1) which differ but were build from the same
> > source.
> >
> > There's also a link-script (link.res) and a shell-script (ppas.sh) which
> > you can use to link the executables yourself. The necessary object files
> > are also there.
>
> The 'hello' and 'hello1' binaries there are stripped.
> Your 'link.res' script passes -s to ld, which explains why they are stripped.
> But this defeats many purposes and hides the information I need to diagnose
> your problem.  Surely your actual package builds don't link with -s, I hope.
> (If they do, your debuginfo rpms wind up useless.)

I've placed a new file with the same name with unstripped-binaries. I
just tried to make a simple example, but didn't realize that the
compiled would add '-s' to the link-script when no debug-information is
specified. (The script is generated by the compiler)

Can you have another look?

Joost.