Package Maintainers Flags policy

Julian Sikorski belegdol at gmail.com
Tue May 19 19:44:55 UTC 2009

Patrice Dumas pisze:
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 09:24:37PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>> Le mardi 19 mai 2009 à 20:56 +0200, Patrice Dumas a écrit :
>>> I think
>>> that Fedora should only abide to US laws and the burden to make derivative
>>> works that are consistent with other country law should be on the
>>> shoulder of those who want to have a distro acceptable for their law.
>> Why do you think the US is any more neutral in this matter than other
>> countries ?
>
> I don't think so, and I said above that there are things I dislike in
> US laws, but Redhat and fedora are US entities, so it somehow
> determines the minimal set of laws fedora shouldn't break.
>
> --
> Pat

That's the most sane argument I've seen in this discussion. Fedora is a
US-based distribution, so let's stick to what's legal to distribute in
the States. If we try to remove every bit which is illegal in one place
or another, sooner or later we will end up with a product to crippled to
be useful (as if lack of mp3/dvd playback ability wasn't enough).

Julian

P.S.
I tried to stay out of this flamewar, but the overwhelming political
correctness needs to be stopped. There's a saying “don't be more saint
than the pope” where I come from.