Package Maintainers Flags policy

Ewan Mac Mahon ewan at macmahon.me.uk
Tue May 19 20:22:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 12:55:36PM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 12:27 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > As far as I can see, these are the differences from the current
> > policy:
>
> There is an easier option 3, which is no flags in Fedora period,
> regardless of what spin.  Far easier to implement.

Or there's option 4, which is to not have a 'no flags' policy in Fedora.

It's even easier to implement, requires no package changes, and no
carrying of Fedora specific patches for ever more, and no loss of
perfectly good software from the distribution.

This sort of decision is always going to be a balance; on the one hand
there are clearly real costs to Fedora in having a blanket ban on flags,
and on the other we have (according to spot[1]) "no specific legal issue
at this time". It seems to me that that balance comes down squarely on
the side of leaving the flags alone.

Ewan

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/110