Youth Protection: Was Re: Package Maintainers Flags policy

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu May 21 03:08:43 UTC 2009

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On 05/20/2009 01:24 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> Well, I am sure, FESCO will now will initiate the necessary measures to
>> initiate the "youth protection" certification processes, whose absence
>> so far legally threads Fedora vendors/distributors from different
>> countries around the globe?
>
> We actually have this pretty well covered wrt to US laws. :)

We are talking about the "national laws" threating
users/vendors/re-distributors in a particular country.

Wrt. "youth protection", US laws are widely irrelevant. It's similar to
US "alcohol/tobacco/drug laws", "weapon laws", "medication laws", "car
part regulations". At least in my country (Germany), they are widely
irrelevant.

Relevant wrt. "youth protection" on SW in Germany are computer games.
Very oversimplified, in general, it's illegal in Germany to make
"non-USK-certified/rated" computer games available to people below
certain age, rsp. in some cases, to distribute them at all.

Ralf