PolicyKit changes in F12

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Sun May 24 16:06:27 UTC 2009

On Sunday 24 May 2009 04:26:10 Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-05-24 at 00:33 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > > How long old PK will be shipped in Fedora?
> >
> > Shipping old PolicyKit won't really help, as PackageKit etc. are all
> > going to get ported to the new one. The only reasonable thing to do is to
> > BLOCK the upgrade until it can be supported cross desktop. I'm really fed
> > up of having to play catch up with supposedly "shared" technologies
> > getting upgraded under us without anybody talking to KDE upstream or to
> > us (Fedora's KDE SIG) about the schedule.
>
> The feature page has been out there for all to read for months.

Yes, it was - but this is first visible activity with actual results - existing
code etc. as I know (sorry if it's not true).

> It took me a couple of evenings to write patches for the majority of
> polkit users in gnome, so I assume it should be possible to do the same
> for KDE. It is probably even easier, since you have those fabulous
> abstraction layers on top of all the 'shared' technologies...

Currently it's using polkit-grant and that seems it's not ported to new API
yet. Could you take a look to code and suggest us right way to port it? Every
help/ideas are appreciate. I'll try to look into deeper and I hope we can do
it until Fedora 12 is released.

It lies in http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/kdesupport/polkit-qt/ and
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase/workspace/PolicyKit-kde/

Upstream is currently considering writing on pure DBUS implementation even own
backend. I hope I can join it and try to help. Main problem is it took some
time for PolKit to be accepted by KDE and it's 4.3 feature and it's now beta
(and as KDE has very strict freezes). Now there are big API changes and it
misses KDE release - it's a work for 4.4 - so next year :(

> >  The PolicyKit-kde developer even
> > WANTS to support the new version, but he didn't get the documentation he
> > needs for that (and asked for weeks ago)!
>
> I see a single mail by Dario on the PolicyKit mailing list before the
> one that you consider as 'mounting frustration'. Admittedly, it didn't
> get a reply, but it was a very general 'lets work together' mail, not
> asking concrete questions about missing documentation.
>
> As we all know, writing documentation is hard. The current 'porting
> guide' is the result of Richard and me writing patches to port a bunch
> of apps to the new PolicyKit, and is really just a collection of notes
> taken while hacking.
>
> I propose that the best way to improve the docs is to ask concrete
> questions on the mailing list.

I've pointed Dario to this thread. We're in close contact, so I can try to
cooperate this efforts as it should be cross desktop one. Feel free to contact
me. Complaining don't help - actual code yes ;-)

> Matthias

Thanks
Jaroslav