List of packages including country flags

Ding-Yi Chen dchen at redhat.com
Tue May 26 02:27:20 UTC 2009

於 一,2009-05-25 於 08:54 +0200,Kevin Kofler 提到:
> Ding-Yi Chen wrote:
> > Unless there is a plan to complete the flags/icons for 83-78=5 layouts,
> > it does not look consistent, does it?
>
> Those 5 layouts do not match a country, so it makes sense not to show any
> flags for them. This is neither a real issue, nor an argument for removing
> the remaining 78 flags.

I prefer the consistence way. :-)

> > QWERTY-- Default
> >       +-ja_JP
> >       +-ko_KR,
> >       +-de_CH
> >       +-fr_CH
> >       +-it_CH
> >       +-en_UK
> >       +...
> > DVORAK--
> > QWERTZ--
> >       +-de_CH
> >       +-de_CH at SunDeadKey
> >       +-de_CH at NOSunDeadKey
> >       +-de_CH at Mac
> >       +-fr_CH
> >       +-it_CH
> >       +...
> > AZERTY--fr_FR
> >       +-fr_BE
> >
> > The benefits of this category systems are:
> > 1. Input method developers only need to deal with the keys that matter
> > (i.e. 0-9 and a-z) instead of go through the whole country list.
> > 2. End users need fewer scroll for the first level category.
> > 3. Reduce the redundancy: Many countries use essentially the standard
> > QWERTY layout, no need to show all of them.
> > 4. Flags can be assigned to the second level, either from the listing
> > locale string or the regional setting. So Aussies, Kiwi, Singaporean can
> > use their own flags (instead of American flags), everybody is happy. :-)
>
> Please propose these UI improvements to KDE upstream. They have nothing to
> do with Fedora's policy on flags in any case. (You write yourself that
> flags would still be useful, or even more useful, under that scheme.)
>
>         Kevin Kofler

I will bring up the key layout issue in i18n meeting first.

Well, I myself did not against the flags, just want them to be
informative and nobody should feel being left out.
By the way, the keyboard icons should be customizable,
so they can be flags, part of keyboards, pretty flowers
or left blank for space/performance/political concerns.

--
Ding-Yi Chen
Software Engineer

Looking to carve out IT costs?