PolicyKit changes in F12

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Tue May 26 14:21:53 UTC 2009

On Martes 26 Mayo 2009 15:44:56 Matthias Clasen escribió:
> On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 15:37 +0200, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > Seems like direct DBus communication is the only way to do it from Qt/KDE
> > apps as PolKit library requires gtk_init() somewhere in code...  I've
> > prepared patch for polkit-qt to the new PK1 Core API but... Or is there
> > any other way to initialize glib without need for it? I'm not familiar
> > with GTK app development... But library that expects gtk_init somewhere
> > in application to be correctly intialized...
>
> Calling g_type_init() should be enough; there is no direct GTK+
> dependency in polkit-gobject. Even g_type_init() may be too much for KDE
> apps to swallow though, so going directly to the bus is still a good
> idea.

Thanks, I'll try it. Shouldn't library do the proper initialization? Then it's
OK for us and it's better for other nongtk projects (not only KDE) - I think
once we have library it's useless to duplicate work.
But we agreed with upstream that directly using dbus is best for us but first
I tried to do port line by line according to your patches/docs/porting
guide...

> > PK1 should be split into parts - cross-desktop backends should be on
> > freedesktop, gnome specific libraries should be in gnome repository. This
> > should stop confusion.
>
> You mean like
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/PolicyKit
> http://git.gnome.org/cgit/PolicyKit-gnome

I thought polkit library which depends on glib initialization is not right
cross desktop solution...

Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>