Make Fedora 11 use vx800 chipset correctly

Xavier Bachelot xavier at bachelot.org
Thu May 28 22:55:44 UTC 2009

Hi Ajax, Kristaps,

Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 11:18 +0000, Kristaps Viesalgs wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Here is my problem: I am trying to Fedora LIVE USB boot properly X on
>> vx800 chipset/Chrome9 integrated GPU on VED8900 netbook (VIA OpenBook
>> reference design). Default driver \"openchrome\" because of
>> unsupported vx800 can\'t do that. Only some snv version of this driver
>> can boot X correctly.
>
> Assuming "snv" means svn, I defer to the opinion of the openchrome
> maintainer on this point.  We regularly ship svn snapshots of the
> openchrome driver, but we seem to be on one from March 21.  Don't know
> why it hasn't been updated yet.

The current F10 and F11 packages should work just fine with a VX800.
They are more or less what's in openchrome svn trunk. Fwiw, I do have a
Quanta IL-1 working quite nicely.

If your own machine is not working, please file a bug and attach the
xorg conf and xorg log, I'll take a look asap. Make sure you're running
the latest updates though.

>> But it is only one part of prolem: using boot
>> option video=vesafb vga=791, mouse cursor goes invisible. Is there any
>> brutal option how to properly boot X with vesa driver, install Fedora,
>> then make openchrome svn installation?
>
> vesafb is garbage.  Don't use it.
>
> If you install with 'xdriver=vesa', the installer will write out a
> minimal config file setting the X driver to vesa.
>
>> Is Fedora planning to make for
>> VIA graphic chipset autoconfiguration utility? It would be very very
>> useful.
>
> Why would we do that when we could just package a version of the driver
> that just works?
>
> - ajax

Regards,
Xavier