gnaughty is a hot babe

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri May 29 16:20:52 UTC 2009

On 05/29/2009 09:00 AM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-05-29 at 12:50 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>> It is not Fedora's place to police *usage* of apps, only whether the
>> app
>> or package has a compliant license and follows the defined packaging &
>> legal rules. If the tool were directly containing support for decoding
>> such prorietry formats that would be a different matter, because the
>> codecs would not pass the legal rules.
>>

> Then do you find it OK to package up a bunch of packages that provide
> nothing but gnome or KDE menu entries that launch porn internet sites?
> What about packages that add bookmarks for these in Firefox
> (disregarding the fact that Firefox can only have one bookmarks package
> at this point)?  Technically it's "free software", could be packaged
> within the guidelines, and wouldn't be illegal on the surface,

Actually, it's not.  It's borderline free content.  (borderline because
the bookmarks themselves are free but the content they point at may or
may not be free.)

> but is
> this really acceptable things to distribute under the Fedora brand?

If you're talking about free software (which gets us back to gnaughty,
not to the bookmark example) then I think the answer should be yes.  To
me, Fedora's Everything repo should be open to any maintained free
software that is legal for us to distribute.  One of our goals has been
to reduce the need for users to have to get software from external
repos.  We don't serve that purpose by cutting around the edges of the
packageset and telling people that they should put their packages in
another repository.  If we do that, one day we'll find that we're back
to Fedora Core and fedora.us except that one will be called Fedora
Project and the other RPM Fusion.

Fedora will do a much better job of protecting its brand by controlling
what goes into the DVD installer and the default livecd than by
enforcing more and more restrictions on what can go into the Everything
repo.

-Toshio