Plans for tomorrow's (20090529) FESCo meeting

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri May 29 16:47:52 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-29 at 10:59 -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Fri, 29 May 2009, drago01 wrote:
>

> > Because they might break on kernel updates, needs to be rebuild
> > everytime and in some cases require patches to work.
> >
> > So we might get in a situation: pushing a kernel update will cause
> > broken deps for users of kmod-foo -> preventing them from installing
> > updates -> security risk. (outdated packages)
> >

> There is no 'might' about it.
>
> it happens.
>
> all the time.

There is a solution to this particular point, which it seems many who
use kmods don't seem to know about: akmods. Install the akmod for your
kmod, and if the pre-built kmod hasn't yet been updated when a new
kernel is released, the akmod handles the problem (it gets automatically
built at boot time).

That doesn't address all the other problems, of course, which are valid.
And it doesn't help if the new kernel happens to have changed the
interface somehow so the module source doesn't build any more. But there
_is_ a solution for the "the code still builds fine but the repository
didn't update the pre-built binary yet" case. Just sayin'.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey