gnaughty is a hot babe

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Fri May 29 17:07:33 UTC 2009

On 05/29/2009 06:48 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Dennis J. (dennisml at conversis.de) said:
>>> At which point, you need some sort of review board, where then every
>>> package gets something like:
>>>
>>> - TuxPaint is rated E for Everyone
>>> - quake3 is rated T for violent content
>>> - tcl is rated M for inappropriate language
>>>
>>> I'm going to go out on a limb and claim we don't have the resources to
>>> coherently do this.
>>
>> I don't see why we would need a review board. Just add a guideline asking
>> packagers to tag their packages if they think the contents could be
>> inappropriate out of courtesy toward their fellow community members.
>>
>> If some packagers don't give a damn then that's fine and not a lot can be
>> done about that but why not give the community the tools to self
>> regulate?
>>
>> Just because there is a general guideline does not mean there has to be
>> enforcement through an iron-fisted review board.
>
> Without some sort of standards, the tags would likely become meaningless
> to rely on in practice. (See also: the RPM Group tag.)

Then let the people who are affected with this come up with a proposal and
deal with it on it's technical merits. There is no enforcement involved. If
that proposal is too difficult/complex to implement it can be rejected. If
a packager is unwilling to put such a classification in his package then
it's up to the people concerned to work it out.

Regards,
   Dennis