Wodim trouble

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Nov 2 23:21:20 UTC 2009

>I've filed a bug[1] against wodim not burning dvds correctly. While
>browsing through another bug[2] on wodim, I came across this comment[3].

>"wodim is completely unmaintained since May 6th 2007, don't
>expect to see any fixes anytime soon as long as Redhat
>continues to distribute wodim instead of the original software."

>Can someone please clear this up?

Wodim is a creation of a hostile packaging person from Debian.

See: http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html

for more information.

Let me give you some facts:

The fork did have less changes in the time between May 6th 2007 and today
than the original source had in a lazy week.

In the same time, the original software had a sustained average putback rate
of 3 changes per day. Since May 2006 50% of the code was replaced or added.
There is more than 30% new code since then and many many new features and bug
fixes. In contrary to the fork, the orogonal project carefully listenes to the
bug reports from the users and and reported bugs are typically fixed within a
few hours. This is why there are no known bugs in the original software and why
there are more than 100 bugs (well known since January 2007) in the fork that
are not fixed.

All known bugs in the fork will disappear if you just upgrade to recent original
software.

Roman Rakus and others did verify many times that he is not interested in the
problems of the users. Please ignore comments from people like Roman Rakus as
he is involved in the attacks against the OpenSource Project cdrtools
and thus not interested in a discussion about the backgrounds on why
Redhat started to distribute the proken fork instead of the original software.

Jörg