Boot from CD, safe changes to USB-Stick

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Wed Nov 4 20:35:13 UTC 2009

Duane Smith on 11/04/2009 02:13 PM wrote:
> You don't wanna change something on the harddisks, but wanna safe the
> changes. So you boot from Live-CD and the changes are redirected to
> the USB-Stick. Puppy Linux does it that way*. I wanna see it in
> Fedora. :D

Already possible I believe. I think there's a persistent overlay kernel
command argument that you can point to use a file on your USB drive if
you're booting from CD. I may be wrong on this though.

It's easier just to boot from USB though. Faster all the way around.
CD/DVDs take ages to boot. I know persistant overlay works swell with
this method. I use it personally. Is booting from USB not an option for you?