A question about allow_unconfined_mmap_low in f11 amd selinux

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 19:40:18 UTC 2009

Eric Paris <eparis <at> redhat.com> writes:

> > I have Crossover installed and not wine, and just checked:
> > [mike <at> home1 ~]$ cat /proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr
> > 65536
> >
> > This is an f11 box.  I also set the boolean by doing
> > # setsebool -P allow_unconfined_mmap_low 1
>
> Bad news!  For maximum protection would want that bool off.  You do not
> want to ALLOW unconfined to mmap low memory.
>
> -Eric

Many thanks Eric - I just tried unsetting the boolean -
# setsebool -P allow_unconfined_mmap_low 0

Excel and Word 2003 still run in Crossover after resetting it without AVCs
popping up - I will unset it in the other machines where I have this also -
I guess selinux policy may have changed so that setting it as I did originally
is no longer necessary.