Are conflicts in debuginfo packages OK?

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Mon Nov 9 23:01:14 UTC 2009

Hello, could someone help me understand the rules about file conflicts and
debuginfo packages?

I thought there was a rule that if the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of a package
provide the same file, then the file's contents must be identical in both
packages, with an exception for binary executable files in standard locations
like /usr/bin. Now I've noticed that lots of debuginfo packages seem to be
violating this rule. The debuginfo packages put files in /usr/lib/debug/usr/bin
and similar directories, and the exception doesn't seem to apply to these
directories, because RPM complains about conflicts when I try to install both
architecture versions of a debuginfo package.

I don't see that I as a packager can do anything to prevent these conflicts.
Shall I conclude that I don't need to care about conflicts between architecture
versions of debuginfo packages? Or shall I try to avoid conflicts in debuginfo
packages for libraries, but not for programs? I think I can avoid debuginfo
conflicts in packages that provide only libraries, but maybe I shouldn't
bother?

Björn Persson