Identifying remaining core font users

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Nov 11 13:22:41 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 01:11:03PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> • ocaml ocaml-0:3.11.1-0.rc1.2.fc12.1
>   — /usr/lib64/ocaml/graphics.cmxs
> • ocaml ocaml-runtime-0:3.11.1-0.rc1.2.fc12.1
>   — /usr/lib64/ocaml/stublibs/dllgraphics.so

I guess it falls to me (with Debian folk) to do this one, since
upstream are unlikely to care enough to change this old, working code.

Here is the code at issue:

http://caml.inria.fr/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ocaml/trunk/otherlibs/graph/text.c?rev=6171&view=markup

Some questions since I know very little about this:

(1) Are there any recipes / guides / tutorials for changing basic X
core fonts calls into whatever has replaced them?  Note that using a
library like gtk is not an option.

(2) Will the replacement work on other Unix platforms (eg Solaris,
AIX)?

Note that the OCaml Graphics module isn't used by any serious code.
Serious users are using ocaml-cairo or LablGTK.  On the other hand, we
wouldn't want to remove it because it is useful for showing beginners
how to "draw a circle using a little bit of OCaml" and having that
demo code work on Unix and Windows.

Rich.