RFC: Btrfs snapshots feature for F13

Justin eqisow at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 16:46:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:36 AM, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:
> (I'm not subscribed to fedora-devel-list so if you expect an answer
> please Cc me)
>
> On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 09:52 -0500, Chris Ball wrote:
>> * Ray says not to invent a new system-config-blah, and instead to talk
>>   with davidz about Palimpsest.  David, what do you think?
>
> Yep, we're planning to add support to DeviceKit-disks for exposing the
> (privileged) operations that btrfs may expose (locked down by polkit,
> etc etc). There are also plans to expose these operations in the UI in
> Palimpsest and/or Nautilus. I don't think snapshots is going to have any
> Palimpsest UI (it belongs in Nautilus I think) but the multi-disk stuff
> definitely will.

Talking about sliders and various btrfs bits in Nautilus, I would just
like to point out that there are other desktops and file managers to
consider. It should be possible to perform the same operations via GUI
in KDE or xfce.

Whether this means keeping stuff in a seperate, desktop agnostic,
application (like a system-config or Palimpset) or making changes to
Dolphin, etc as well I don't know.