RFC: Btrfs snapshots feature for F13

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Tue Nov 17 19:31:08 UTC 2009

On 11/17/2009 12:05 PM, Josef Bacik wrote:

> Sure, this isn't a perfect solution, it's just a nice to have feature
> if you care for it.  It's nice to take a complete snapshot of your
> system right before you update just in case something goes horribly
> wrong and you lose say configuration files or some such.  If you
> modified other things and have to rollback, you can always just mount
> the newer snapshot when you boot into the old snapshot and copy the
> new data that you want back.  This isn't for the faint of heart, I
> envisioned it really for people who want to play the rawhide game with
> less exposure to its instability.  Thanks,

I've long wanted to help with fedora rawhide a bit more but only really
have it on the one computer I work on. So this would make it possible
for me to do that. I think that's great.

I have a few questions. Suppose I do an update, and it breaks X or some
other important piece for me. I reboot into my previous snapshot. From
there I continue to work.

Do I have to remove the 'future' snapshot I came back from to continue
working in that snapshot? Or is that just best practice. If I move
forward, I'd have to move all the work I did in that snapshot to the
head/snapshot that just got fixed with an update...

Just thinking out loud here.