RFC: Btrfs snapshots feature for F13

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Tue Nov 17 21:18:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 16:12 -0500, Casey Dahlin wrote:
> On 11/17/2009 03:56 PM, Chris Ball wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >    > I'm not sure how much of this can/should be automated.
> >
> > Sorry, not quite following -- what is the caution around
> automatically
> > creating a new snapshot before each yum transaction?  Why shouldn't
> it
> > be automated?
> >

> I somewhat read the initial suggestion as trying to implement
> transactional behavior via snapshot. Just creating one shouldn't hurt.

I fail to understand how a snapshot would differentiate between yum
related changes and other changes that occur by an otherwise normally
operating daemon (logs for example).

Certainly you don't want to loose your logs when you want to revert a
yum update ?

What if you loose is something more important, like shared secrets (a
kerberos keytab) that have changed during the transaction ?

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York