Local users get to play root?

Robert Locke lists at ralii.com
Wed Nov 18 18:30:46 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 13:05 -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, Dennis J. wrote:
>
> >> You have PackageKit installed on servers? really?
> >
> > Why shouldn't he? AFAIK there is nothing in the package warning users not to
> > install this on a server.
>
> like I said in another email - I think of installing things on servers as
> 'barest minimal' and then adding things I require. Nothing else.
>
> Maybe I'm in the minority.

I think the phrase would be "shrinking majority"....

Picture Windows Server for a moment.  Now picture that admin coming over
to administer a new Linux server. What's he gonna install? Click <Next>
repeatedly.....

Not to mention the number of gui administrative tools that are getting
front billing or even becoming stated mandatory options for certain
applications, and, yes, we can always X11Forward, vnc or some such to
"remotely" administer with those tools, but it still means that the GUI
is being installed on "more servers" and the folks developing these GUI
tools had better be security conscious in choosing "defaults".... I
don't think this one was a *good* choice.....

--Rob