Local users get to play root?

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Wed Nov 18 22:21:20 UTC 2009

On 11/18/2009 04:10 PM, Casey Dahlin wrote:
> On 11/18/2009 03:06 PM, Peter Jones wrote:

>>> Addendum: Why do you think sudo would ask an already-logged-in
>>> user for his password?
>>
>> Because the config file says to.
>>
> Good sort of answer when speaking about chickens and roads. A bit too
> existential for system administration though.

You've sortof missed my point here, which isn't a big surprise since I
left a lot of space to figure it out in.

root added your name to /etc/sudoers.  She might have put:

cjd ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL

but apparently instead she put:

cjd ALL=(ALL) ALL

If sudo is asking you for a password, it's because somebody intentionally
made a choice for it to do so, in the config file. It's not some kind of
accident. It's not some global policy because of a universal truth, as you
seem to think. It's a choice somebody made when they put your name in
there.

(Read what you will as to how this is relevant to our current predicament.)

--
        Peter

Computers don't make errors.  What they do, they do on purpose.
		-- Dale