Local users get to play root?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 01:04:43 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Eric Christensen
<eric at christensenplace.us> wrote:
> Maybe.  I mean removing (or not installing) PK is a snap with kickstart.
> I haven't visited my kickstart in a while so...  :)

Whick PK are you talking about... packagekit or policykit?  PackageKit
is probably what you mean given the context..but PK as a shorthand can
mean either.

And I think you missed my point. As we are learning..the hard way...
sysadmins and spin developers can and should be encouraged to generate
site specific policykit rules as part of hardening/softening ALL
policykit enabled applications. You we really won't be able to rip out
all the stuff using policykit.  We're gonna have to digest the fact
that policykit is there and start dealing with it in our setups and we
are going to need some hand holding so we can do it effectively.
PackageKit's policy is just the beginning of the learning curve here.
It may not be server relevant as an application.. but the underlying
issue about checking and configuring PolicyKit settings will be server
relevant and unavoidable at some point.

-jef