F12: where did window properties go?

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Thu Nov 19 15:41:26 UTC 2009

On 11/19/2009 04:01 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram<sundaram at fedoraproject.org>  writes:
>> I said, it *will* be an upstream change.
>
> Upstream change or not, you're pissing off users to save 59k out of
> however many gigabytes a minimal GNOME install is.  I shouldn't really
> presume to speak for others, but for me focus-follows-mouse is wired
> into the fingertips --- it's not a negotiable UI change

Yes, same for me. Coming from the Unix world, I'd be utterly lost
without focus-follows-mouse. As Tom said, it's a fundamental UI behavior
that is difficult to change when you're used to it. It's like switching
to vim after using emacs for 20 years, or vice versa. If Gnome takes it
away, I'd be forced to hack my own patches to keep it around, which
would be painful. I do hope they at least keep it even just as a gconf
setting. Unfortunately, GNOME has a knack for slowly taking away
configuration options, and if you read between the lines their reasoning
is always the same: we love Windows and we want Gnome to be just like
it. Or so it seems.

-denis