Question about tagging

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Nov 20 04:50:06 UTC 2009

> And why can't all this be done with s/git/SVN/? All we really need apart
> from what CVS already provides is atomic commit IDs, to make the
> "maintainers would not tag themselves" part easily implementable. I don't
> see why SVN revision IDs wouldn't be as good as git hashsums for that.
>
> In fact, in principle, it could even be done with CVS, but instead of
> tagging a single revision ID, the build system would have to tag the
> revision ID it checked out for each file. Having atomic commits just allows
> dragging around just one revision ID instead of a set of IDs.

With sufficient hackery it could be done with either svn or cvs, however
many of our upstreams are moving or have moved to git, and there is a
strong desire for our scm to follow suit.  This really will wind up
being decided by the person putting in the work to get it done, which at
the moment is me.

The added benefit of offline operation makes git even more appealing,
and while I know you can hack svn into doing something like that, I'd
rather go with something that is designed for it.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!