Promoting i386 version over x86_64?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Nov 20 05:50:51 UTC 2009

On 11/20/2009 06:31 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 11/20/2009 08:22 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>>>

>>> Oh?  That's not what I got from
>>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FedoraMoblin
>> It's what I get from this web-page and what I got from testing the
>> original Moblin desktop.
>>
>> IMO, they are targetting MID devices, competing with Android, Smart
>> phones and similar.
>>
>> That's a completely different audience as I am talking about: People
>> using netbooks, nettops and old i386s as inexpensive, "secondary"
>> machine for everyday, "low end" desktop usage, such as "browsing the
>> web", "word processing", "presentations", "photo browsing" etc.
>
> User experience part of the page says
>
> "Users of the Fedora Moblin Spin would have a much better user
> experience on their NetBook, NetTop and other small devices"
That's what the marketing department wants it to be.

Reality speaks a different language:
* People are using their everyday desktop even on low end machines and
do not want to fiddle around with "custom netbooks desktops".
* People consider their low end machine's performance sufficient for
such use-cases.

The essentially the same rationale/reason why netbooks/nettops with
WinXP have been a huge success and why netbooks with "custom desktops"
were a failure.

Ralf