abrt and bugzilla

Jiri Moskovcak jmoskovc at redhat.com
Mon Nov 23 09:51:44 UTC 2009

On 11/21/2009 10:28 PM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> On Saturday 21 November 2009 05:54:56 Caolán McNamara wrote:
>> On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 00:42 +0000, Colin Walters wrote:
>>> Look at it this way - it's more information than you had before, not
>>> less.  And I personally have often been able to find a problem with no
>>> more than a traceback (especially given -debuginfo being installed, or
>>> an enthusiast/developer running code from revision control and thus
>>> having un-stripped binaries).
>>
>> Which brings up another thing, all the ones I'm getting are without
>> debuginfo installed, which is rather gruesome. Can we get info sharedlib
>> called in the gdb batch (https://fedorahosted.org/abrt/ticket/90)
>>
> I have had problems with using abrt to report a problem because the backtrace
> does not include symbolics ... that is, debuginfo was not downloaded and
> installed.
>
> At least once during the F12 development cycle I used abrt to report a problem
> and it downloaded and installed the needed debuginfo packages.
>
> Is abrt suppose to download and install debuginfo packages?  Is this an option
> and if it is how is it enabled?  Is there an abrt bug right now preventing
> debuginfo processing?
>
> Gene

Yes, ABRT is supposed to download and use the debuginfo (it doesn't
install it actually, but that's another thing), but there are many
potential problems that may prevent ABRT from finding/donwloading the
proper debuginfo (most common is that yum --provides doesn;t work for
some files :() You can always use debuginfo-install and then recreate
the backtrace in ABRT.

Jirka