texlive 2009 - should set TEXMFCNF?

Jindrich Novy jnovy at redhat.com
Mon Nov 23 10:06:22 UTC 2009

Hi Jonathan,

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 10:30:44PM +0000, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> 2009/10/30 Jindrich Novy <jnovy at redhat.com>:
> > I'm presenting a complete list of packages shipped in TeX Live to
> > discuss another possible obsoletions:
> >
> > dvipdfm
> > dvipdfmx
>
> I think the latest TeXLive doesn't include dvipdfm as its
> functionality is now covered by dvipdfmx. Anyway, In both cases I am
> the packager, and would rather see the texlive variant shipped and the
> packages obsoleted.

TeX Live 2009 builds dvipdfm when it is not explicitely disabled. Also
collection-basic depends on both dvipdfm and dvipdfmx. So I decided to
ship them both.

> > xdvi
> Again, would prefer if we obsoleted the separate package and went with
> the texlive variant. Here however we may need to shipp a separate
> package for the japanese patched version. Or we could integrate the
> japanese patch into texlive - this may need some work though, as the
> japanese patch seems to be unmaintined presently. Longer term I hope
> xdvi just goes away, as its functionality increasingly gets added to
> evince - xdvi is only minimally maintained at this point and is
> rather... crusty.

I'm not sure about Japanese support here. IIRC Takanori MATSUURA works
on this support for TL2009. At this point I would prefer to propose
this effort to TL upstream so that we needn't to forwardport these
patches too often. I could imagine that Takanori could be official
upstream of the new xdvi package providing Japanese support if TL upstream
is not against it.

> > dvipng
>
> Yep, we should simply go with the texlive version - I am happy with
> this, as dvipng maintainer.
>
> > xdvipdfmx
> >

> I'm not primary maintainer of this one, but again, I think we should
> go with the texlive shipped version (which is ahead of the version
> available as a separate tarball).
>
> Let me know if you need any help with this.
>
> Cheers,
> Jonathan

At last but not least, all the mentioned packages are obsoleted by
their TeX Live variant for some time already in the Fedora repo.

Cheers,
Jindrich

--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy at redhat.com>   http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/