tangent: PolicyKit and PAM

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Nov 24 18:43:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 01:27:40PM -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > Like I said, this is a tangent, and I'm certainly not expecting anyone to
> > work on this. But it'd be cool if they did.
> Just as everybody else is struggling to get away from pam's awful
> apis...I don't think this would be a step forward; but sure, it might be
> doable.

The awful API is actually an argument _for_ doing such a thing: it gets
encapsulated away in only one place that needs to be maintained, and
everyone can just write to PolicyKit.

Annd speaking of tangents and horrible interfaces, I should add that one
thing I'm very genuinely happy to learn in all of this is that the pkla config
files are key=value rather than the old PolicyKit.conf xml file. So much
nicer for humans to work with!

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>
Senior Systems Architect