[RFC] unified i386/x86_64 install media.

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Tue Nov 24 19:50:50 UTC 2009

I was thinking and thought id get an idea out there.

rather than ship 2 dvds one for i386 and one for x86_64  we would ship one dvd
that has the package set for both arches.  they would likely only have the
packages for a desktop install on them we would need to have both arches under
2.4GiB, you could choose your own adventure by enabling the everything repo.

this way you could carry a usb key or dvd that you can plug into any intel
based machine and be sure of having it installable. this would end the
discussions of what arch to promote we have a single install media.

syslinux would need to be able to detect the arch to install and likely also
have a flag to force 32 bit we could easily implement the 64 bit kernel and 32
bit userland idea that was put forward a few releases ago.  pungi will need to
learn how to make the new iso. but i think it is achievable.

I think we should also push the netinstall.iso along with kickstarting
machines.  we could make a single netinstall.iso for both arches as well.  it
would make it ~375MB iso.

Dennis