[RFC] unified i386/x86_64 install media.

Sir Gallantmon ngompa13 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 20:58:36 UTC 2009

I dunno, that sounds like a bad idea because it relies on said internet
connection.

A unified x86_32 and x86_64 Live image is unlikely though, given that any
efforts to make this possible have been scorned because of two things:
saying that packages solve the arch problem (because any changes to make
this possible would affect everything), and that anything that would offer
this capability is more useful to proprietary software than open source
software.

Personally, I don't agree with either argument. The first argument about
package managers is somewhat true, but at the same time, not true. Packages
do make it easier to handle arch-specific dependencies, and generally
arch-independent data is split out into a separate package that is pulled
during installation, but the initial point of entry for either arch requires
KNOWING that your system actually uses either arch. While it is true most
systems sold today are x86_64 capable, it isn't true that most systems in
USE are x86_64 capable.

As far as the installable media goes, I don't really see too much of a
reason to fuse the x86_32 and x86_64 stuff together, because frankly, the
people that are installing through traditional media have to know what they
are doing anyway, since you have to know what you are doing to be able to
select all those packages and stuff.

The Live images though, are intended not only for demonstration, but for
easy installation. In this case, I could see fusing the two arches together.

As for the second argument, open source software typically do not need to
offer binaries, since source is available. However, being able to offer
binaries that will work on a wide variety of UNIX platforms would be
wonderful, and also it would be easier to support, since the binaries are
configured in a specific way. As it currently works, it isn't a good idea to
bring issues you have with distro packages of software to the actual maker
of the software, because there are too many variables to help predict the
issue, mainly because each distribution configures packages differently for
package generation. Having a single set of binaries that can be offered for
a multitude of platforms that anyone can download makes it easier on
upstream to handle cases.

However, I will grant that it makes life for proprietary software makers a
lot easier. Since there are lots of haters to those makers here and in other
distributions, it is unlikely you will see any solution like this in a
distribution unless they want to get flamed out of existence.