review request - rasmol, Molecular Graphics Visualization Tool

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Nov 25 03:50:54 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 15:05 -0800, Carl Byington wrote:

> 1) There were some menu icon references to files that are no longer in
> the package, but there is a rasmol_48x48.xpm image. What is the
> preferred mechanism to create menu icons, where do they go, etc?

Follow the fd.o icon theme specification:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html

the short version is that at a minimum you should stick an icon with the
same name as the binary, extension / file format .png,
in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps . If upstream provides icons in
any other resolution, include those in the appropriate directory; if
upstream provides an SVG, include it
in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps . The .desktop file should
list the icon as simply the main part of the filename, with no extension
(so if the icon is rasmol.png , the .desktop file should state
Icon=rasmol ). However, see below...

> 2) There does not seem to be much point in creating gui icons for this,
> since it seems to be intended to run from a command prompt in a
> terminal. The program uses stdin to read commands, and the data is then
> displayed in a graphic window. Unless there is an easy way to create an
> icon that launches a gnome-terminal which in turn runs the rasmol
> binary, and allows the user to then type commands into that terminal
> session.

...that sounds like you shouldn't ship a menu entry at all, to me. As
you say, it would be rather pointless. But I dunno if there's a policy
requirement that you should anyway.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey