Fedora 12 Graphics Issues: Cancel F13 and concentrate on fixing F12 ?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Nov 26 19:46:54 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 17:09:14 +0000,
  Terry Barnaby <terry1 at beam.ltd.uk> wrote:
> I really want to help and get a stable release and present bug reports and
> even fix them if I can. But, the current short term release schedule, and no
> focus on testing and fixing graphics issues, does not inspire me
> with confidence that a stable usable release will emerge. This makes
> it difficult
> for me to justify the effort. Convince me :)

I follow the radeon updates pretty closely and my 9200 finally starting working
with 3d again a few weeks before the release. Airlie has continued
development in the f12 branch and there have been several updates over the
last couple of weeks.
If you have just tried F11 and not F12 you should consider doing so. For r5xx
and below, grab a live image and install one of the smaller 3d apps and
try it out. For r6xx and above you'll want to install
mesa-experimental-drivers and update xorg-x11-drv-ati. This won't get you
the kernel updates related to graphics since the release, but should give
you a good look at where things are at so that you can decide if you want
install F12 on the machine.