Fedora 12 Graphics Issues: Cancel F13 and concentrate on fixing F12 ?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Nov 27 22:01:36 UTC 2009

On 11/28/2009 03:26 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2009/11/28 03:37 (GMT+0530) Rahul Sundaram composed:
>
>> Compositing is sooner or later going to be enabled by default everywhere.
>
>>> Somehow those niche users managed 10-20 years ago before there was such a
>>> thing as 3D support in XFree86/Xorg.
>
>> Times and expectations change.
>
> Physics don't. A two dimensional screen will never be able to more than
> simulate 3D.

So who cares if it simulated or not? A lot of things in software is that
way.  Drag and drop for instance.  Doesn't make them any less useful.
This is irrelevant point that you keep bringing up.

3D requires more dead dinosaurs, coal and/or other sources of
> electrical energy than 2D to produce. I don't expect that to change, and even
> if it does, using more than necessary will remain a wasteful allocation of
> quickly diminishing global resources. Consequently, "enabled by default" will
> be ecologically irresponsible if it does come to pass.

Huh? Your perspective just seems very odd.  In a year, if we don't have
a composited desktop by default in Fedora, I would be very very
surprised. Just watch.

Rahul