Fedora 12 Graphics Issues: Cancel F13 and concentrate on fixing F12 ?

Sir Gallantmon ngompa13 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 23:02:53 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> On 11/28/2009 03:26 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
> > 3D requires more dead dinosaurs, coal and/or other sources of
> > electrical energy than 2D to produce. I don't expect that to change, and
> even
> > if it does, using more than necessary will remain a wasteful allocation
> of
> > quickly diminishing global resources. Consequently, "enabled by default"
> will
> > be ecologically irresponsible if it does come to pass.
>
> Huh? Your perspective just seems very odd.  In a year, if we don't have
> a composited desktop by default in Fedora, I would be very very
> surprised. Just watch.
>
> Rahul

I actually would be surprised if we had a composited desktop in Fedora by
default in a year. Maybe if the radical changes going on in Mesa's master
tree weren't going on, that wouldn't be surprising. However, with the
Gallium work, I seriously doubt that we will have composited desktop by
default next year.

Also, it would be nice if in a repo with experimental graphics drivers, the
gallium drivers could be made available. Gallium will soon be the way that
VMware offers accelerated 3D for Linux guests since they contributed a
gallium driver. Given that, I think it should get some exposure to the rest
of the Fedora community to get stuff tested. Gallium isn't totally broken,
last I heard. In fact, I think the ATi gallium driver is supposed to be at
least partially working.