Fedora 12: Emacs is not for software development

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Sat Nov 28 04:19:34 UTC 2009

> On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 16:06 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > Let's say I want to do software development. I make an appropriate selection
> > when intalling Fedora 12. What editor am I expected to use?
> >

> The development group in comps does not list any editor by default.
> Those come from the Editors group.  It does however list a number of
> optional emacs packages one could pick from when fine tuning the group
> selection.
>
> For better or worse, the default editor in the editors group is
> vim-enhanced.

This probably has something to do with the fact that a variety of
programs default to invoking vi if VISUAL is not set.

I'm an emacs user who's nearly completely useless in vi.  But, really...
it just doesn't matter if emacs isn't installed by default.  If you want
it, you know how to get it.  And let's be frank: emacs is not something
that a user who is unaware of it might stumble into and suddenly find
himself blindingly productive. (Nor, for that matter, is vi.)

--
Braden McDaniel <braden at endoframe.com>