Fedora 12: Emacs is not for software development

Casey Dahlin cdahlin at redhat.com
Mon Nov 30 16:26:54 UTC 2009

On 11/28/2009 10:23 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Debayan Banerjee wrote:
>> Well one does need an editor for development. Assuming vim and emacs
>> have roughly equal user bases, chosing emacs over vim for the
>> distribution shows Fedora packagers' personal preference too. I guess
>> both vim and emacs should be available.
>
> Both vim and Emacs are obsolescent and hard to use. Kate FTW!
>
>         Kevin Kofler

On the contrary, they're both quite easy to use. They're just hard to learn. This is intentional. If you're smart enough to use a real man's editor then you're smart enough to send patches to other real men who are writing real men's software. We don't actually want just /anyone/ writing code, do we? (well, Java people do, but its impossible to do anything useful in Java anyway. That's why you need a gigantic resource-intensive IDE to do everything for you).

--CJD