Ubuntu Xorg Guru calls for help. Was Re: Fedora 12 Graphics Issues: Cancel F13 and concentrate on fixing F12 ?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Nov 30 22:47:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 10:28 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Haïkel Guémar <karlthered at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Instead of whining, he should ask his employer to hire more X hackers,
> > one guy is obviously not *enough*.
> > This has nothing to do with our issue and Fedora at all.
>
> What is your definition of hacker? Is he contributing to X.org
> upstream development or is he just pulling patchsets to be applied to
> distribution specific packages?
>
> Just as interesting..... he's spent most of his time between UDS and
> that post trying to address nvidia regressions....
>
> "Fwiw, I pretty much ended up spending 100% of my time between release
> and UDS on SRU bugs (mainly for -nvidia)"
>
> Yippie for prioritizing regressions in proprietary code!

Nope, Bryce doesn't get to work on upstream in any significant way as
part of his Ubuntu work. I was chatting with Dave about this on IRC the
other day. The most significant submission to upstream X.org that's ever
come out of Ubuntu is a quirk table. (yippee.)

As others have said, this post doesn't really teach Fedora any lessons.
It could more accurately have been titled 'Why Having Exactly One X
Developer Is A Really Bad Idea For A Major Distribution'.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey