Font rendering slightly degraded in recent rawhide

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 2 17:56:37 UTC 2009

On 2009/11/02 08:48 (GMT-0800) Adam Williamson composed:

> On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 14:00 +0100, Roberto Ragusa wrote:

>> Adam Williamson wrote:

>> > And why the hell are you still using Luxi Mono, anyway? that thing went
>> > out with the ark...

>> I'm not the person you are posing your question to, but I use Luxi Mono
>> and can give you an answer:
>> "Because it is a wonderful serif mono font. Can you suggest me an
>> alternative? It looks like mono => sans nowadays."

Have you looked at Consolas?

> I'm a big member of the 'fonts are subjective' bandwagon, but I'm
> _really_ surprised that anyone would consider the Luxi fonts to look
> better than the DejaVu ones. DejaVu is just a far more polished font
> set, which is why it was chosen by all major distros to replace Luxi
> years ago. You're literally the first person I've come across who seems
> to prefer the appearance of Luxi. Nothing wrong with that, I suppose,
> I'm just surprised =)

FWIW, of all the distros I've sampled, all but one puts DejaVu and/or Bitstream Vera at the top of the fontconfig alias lists. The odd one out is openSUSE, which places Arial, Times New Roman and Consolas firsts, and the
Agfa fonts (no longer included on the DVD) seconds, ahead of DejaVus in third, and Liberations in fourth, followed oddly in fifth/sixth by SUSE/Bitstream Vera. openSUSE has another exception in putting Verdana between
Agfa's Albany AMT and DejaVu Sans.

IIRC, all put Nimbus ahead of Luxi
--
The husband should fulfill his marital duty to
his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/