Wodim trouble

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Nov 3 22:21:41 UTC 2009

Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Libburn is based on a wrong asumption: libburn only works partly on Linux
> in non-root mode

Actually, burning as non-root works just fine on GNU/Linux.

> and the vast majority of other OS needs root permissions to burn.

Those OSes are broken and need to be fixed.

> Installing a GUI suid root is an absolute no-go as GUIs are so compley
> that it is hard to audit the code for security problems.

We know this very well. All the Fedora system-config-* tools are being more
or less rewritten to use PolicyKit to only do the parts as root which need
to run as root instead of running the whole GUI config tool as root. The
same is happening with KDE's System Settings and the KAuth framework (which
is based on PolicyKit on GNU/Linux).

But the point is that CD/DVD/BluRay burning does not and should not require
root privileges at all!

        Kevin Kofler