AM_SILENT_RULES

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Thu Nov 5 15:04:25 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 09:43 -0500, Steve Grubb wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was looking at a package's build logs to see what kinds of problems gcc is
> reporting for the code and found a lot of lines with "CC  object_name" and
> nothing else. This is really not helpful when you scan koji build logs or look
> for problems. Should we have a policy of requiring "--silent=no" configure
> option for packages that are hiding gcc warnings?

GCC warnings will still show up, otherwise it means you don't have a
high enough level of warnings in the package.

V=1 passed to make is enough to show the full command-lines.

I don't think that disabling silent would help one bit if you're just
looking for warnings, because it would show them anyway.