Fedora Moblin remix

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 23:36:59 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 10:56 PM, Guido Grazioli
<guido.grazioli at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/11/5 Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com>:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> For those interested there's a new test LiveCD of Fedora Moblin remix
>> [1] for those that are interesting in playing. It would be nice to
>> have some feedback on good or bad issues with it. There's been almost
>> 1300 downloads since I announced the last one but I've had no feedback
>> what so ever and while I'd like to assume that's because its perfect I
>> doubt that is the case.
>>

> * I booted it for the first time some minutes ago on an Asus eeepc 900
> (no atom, just a celeron). I actually never installed "vanilla" moblin
> because in their site atom is a requirement.
>
> * Boot is somewhat slow but it could depend on my crappy usb key, or
> because netbooks are crap themselves; after
> gdm login, the graphics go unexpectedly *FAST* and *SMOOTH* !

Cool, I need to look closer at the boot to see what can improved. I'm
been too busy for my own good of late so haven't had a chance to look
closely at this bit.

> * Just before graphical boot screen, for some seconds i can see:
> --
> render error detected, EIR: 0x00000010
> page table error
>  PGTBL_ER: 0x00000100
> [drm:i915_handle_error] *ERROR* EIR stuck: 0x0000010, masking
> render error detected, EIR: 0x00000010
> page table error
>  PGTBL_ER: 0x00000100
> --
> however, everything seems to run just right after that.

Is it recorded in dmesg. It might be worth reporting a bug with all
the details.

> * Where's wifi configuration? isn't there a graphical tool
> to configure it? asking my gf to get it up on a shell is a no-no.

It should be in the top right corner of the top panel. Just to the
left of the volume control. From memory the eeePC 900 has an atheros
card so it should work OK.

> * I mounted a touchscreen in my eeepc, and moblin gui looks
> much more friendly to that interface. However i couldnt install
> the manufacturer software (eGalax), because i think
> an autoloaded module interferes with it (generic-usb?).
> On F11 nothing get autoloaded and touchscreen works fine.
> I need some more testing to figure this out.

Do they have an open driver? Maybe its supported in F-12 and I just
need to make sure the right package is included to support it.

Thanks for the report.

Cheers,
Peter