abrt / kernel oops issue

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Thu Nov 12 18:01:39 UTC 2009

On 11/12/2009 10:50 AM, Dan Williams wrote:

> If you have an oops or BUG of any sort, I think that sets the taint flag
> for further oops reports, because after the first one you can't really
> trust that the stacktrace or internal kernel structures aren't
> corrupted.  Most of the time they aren't, but you simply can't trust
> that.  So I'd expect the first one to be untainted, and then subsequent
> oops reports to have the taint flag set.

I see.. I'll have to reboot and see if the first one is not being marked
as tainted.

> Of course if you start loading random kernel modules that didn't come
> with the kernel itself, you can also taint the kernel.  If you have
> staging drivers loaded, you'll have the taint_crap flag set because
> staging drivers are crap.

I'm not manually loading anything, and the only module I have loaded
that isn't part of the kernel rpm package itself is Virtualbox. Which I
can remove or not load to see if it makes a difference. I have to also
note that I didn't even know I was having kernel oops until abrt popped up.