FESCO ticket#270 - preupgrade and F-12

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Thu Nov 12 20:10:13 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 13:00 -0700, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 14:56 -0500, James Laska wrote:
> > Greetings folks,
> >
> > After careful review by Will Woods around recently discovered problems
> > related to preupgrading to Fedora 12, I've filed ticket#270
> > (https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/270) for discussion at the next
> > FESCO meeting.  Please take a moment to read the details in the ticket.
> >
> > The high-level summary from Will ...
> >
> >         preupgrade to F12 is basically not going to work for anyone
> >         without significant manual workarounds, due to insufficient disk
> >         space on /boot.
>
> How much disk space will one require on /boot to perform the update
> without work arounds ?

From the ticket (see URL above).

        Here's the details.
        The default /boot partition is 200MB, but there's some overhead:
        Ext3/Ext4 overhead:  7MB
        Reserved space:     10MB
        F11 kernel:          8MB (at least - usually 3 kernels = 24MB)
        GRUB/EFI files:      1MB
        Total overhead:     26MB

        So there's 174MB of usable space maximum, and usually 158MB available.

        preupgrade now requires at least 167MB free space on /boot:
        F12 installer images:  143MB (8mb larger than F11!)
        F12 kernel:             18MB (10mb larger than F11!)
        RPM/anaconda tmpfiles: >=8MB (measured in stupid tests)
        Total:                 167MB (Was 149MB in F11 - no problem!)

> Can gparted resize /boot ?

There are definitely workarounds available, but none that meet the
criteria for preupgrade as an effortless upgrade option.

Thanks,
James