FESCO ticket#270 - preupgrade and F-12

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 16 07:33:01 UTC 2009

> On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 09:35 -0500, Andy Gospodarek wrote:

> > > Basically, the case where it fails is when there's enough space to download
> > > stage2, but not enough space left after downloading stage2 to do the
> > > upgrade.
> > >

> > Could we add some support to use a USB key as scratch space for any part
> > of this process?
>
> Not a bad idea.  Not sure who would add this support and test it before
> Tuesday.  Definitely something to consider as a future enhancement to
> preupgrade.

You could hand edit the stage2= line and point is to any non-lvm partition including
a temporary usbkey. You would need to have a filesystem label on the usbkey, and
change "Fedora" to be the name of your usbkey in the grub.conf file entry for
preupgrade. Just make sure that the install.img resides in /images on the usbkey.

You could boot off the boot.iso and pass the needed options to anaconda,
appending to the boot line does work with:

append initrd=initrd.img stage2=hd:LABEL="Fedora" preupgrade \
repo=hd::/var/cache/yum/preupgrade ks=hd:sda1:/upgrade/ks.cfg

Yea, I know ks=hd:sda1 is less that ideal, but if that is the /boot
partition unless your playing bios games with the boot order, where else
can it be but sda1? This could be added to the boot.iso in a stanza as an
option much like rescue.

Just some thoughts,

Jerry