Local users get to play root?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 18 17:59:53 UTC 2009

On 11/18/2009 11:27 PM, nodata wrote:

> Why is it a problem? For all of the reasons that it has never been a
> problem before. For the reason that the user is not the administrator or
> the box, for the reason that the user is the user for a reason, for the
> reason that by default Linux should act like Linux, for the reason that
> the default is bad,

All of these seems rather circular.

for the reason that this is undocumented,

I have asked for more documentation already which I consider a valid point.

for the
> reason that it assumes automatic updates are enabled,

I am not sure why you say that?  Automatic updates are not enabled by
default.

 for the reason
> that the user is not the one with knowledge of the box and what
> resources are available on it, for the reason that it may be against
> corporate policy, for the reason of change management...

Should the defaults be targeted towards home users or corporate desktop
considering the short lifecycle of Fedora and the target audience?  I am
not sure there are corporate deployments but wouldn't they be heavily
customized their desktop deployments and kickstarting it anyway?

Rahul