Review request...

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Thu Nov 19 03:24:53 UTC 2009

On 11/18/2009 06:23 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Michael Schwendt wrote:
>> Many packagers don't know that maintaining a proper spec %changelog for
>> relevant spec file changes and %release bumps are considered important
>> during review already. Others add meaningless/dummy %changelog entries
>> even in Fedora cvs.
>
> But that's a people issue that needs to be solved, not papered over in the
> name of "being nice".
>
> Sadly, "incompetence" as in unfamiliarity with guidelines which are assumed
> to be prerequisites for proper packaging is growing in our ranks (both from
> new packagers and from people who ought to know better), something needs to
> be done about it.

For sure. Personally I've been using Redhat/Fedora for years now, but
this is my first package submission to fedora. I've wanted to get
involved for awhile now. I had read the guidelines, and honestly want to
provide a properly configured package. I think (and this very well could
have been a language issue) that knowing what the issue I'm missing in
my current spec would help immensely. I mean I know there are packaging
guidelines, and there is a lot of information there, so it is plausible
for someone new not to see sub documentation or notice that their spec
isn't in compliance. Having the exact issue pointed out helps with the
learning. Is there a 'ReviewingReviews' guideline? Would that even help?

Anyway, I hope to get some feedback on the actual review too, but I
mainly started this thread because I wasn't sure what I wasn't doing. I
was asked for a scratch build which I *thought* I had provided a link
to. I provided links to spec files and srpms. However was continually
being asked for that same thing, and the requests and my responses were
obviously not being understood by either party. I posted to make sure I
wasn't missing something obvious, some guideline of 'Here's how to post
your spec file, srpm and scratch build', if I wasn't doing it correctly.

Sincerely trying to provide the best package I can,
Nathanael