Local users get to play root?

Jeremy Sanders jeremy at jeremysanders.net
Thu Nov 19 10:08:25 UTC 2009

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Even Microsoft Windows asks for elevated privileges for this sort of
> thing!

What I'd like to have is a comprehensive set of options that need to be
locked down in PolicyKit to get a secure system. It looks like there are
tons of potentially nasty options enabled by default, with little
information over what they do.

What does
org.freedesktop.devicekit.disks.filesystem-mount
do? Does this mean a console user can mount any file system, even non-
removable media?

Does org.fedoraproject.abrt.install-debuginfos mean that any console user
can fill up the root partition with debuginfo rpms?

Does org.freedesktop.RealtimeKit1.acquire-high-priority mean that any
console user can stop the rest of the system working by opening up lots of
realtime processes?

Who knows what org.freedesktop.devicekit.disks.change, “Modify a device”
does. Sounds nasty.

Can the user detach a system disk? org.freedesktop.devicekit.disks.drive-
detach

or start a fsck?
org.freedesktop.devicekit.disks.filesystem-check

I don't mind users being able to handle removable media, but I don't want
them messing around as sysadmin on system disks, changing timezones, etc...

Where is all this explained?

Jeremy

--
http://jeremysanders.net/