Question about tagging

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Nov 19 16:20:04 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 12:02 +0000, Mat Booth wrote:
> Exciting times. In your plan, what will be replacing CVS?

If I had my way and did it today, git.  Each package would be its own
module, and each fedora release would be represented by a real branch in
the git module.  We'd have a userland tool, as part of fedora-packager,
that would allow simple commands to clone the module (and get master,
which would build things for rawhide), or clone the module and all its
release branches and construct a directory layout much like dist-cvs is
today.

Build commands would be part of fedora-packager, not makefiles in every
module.  Decisions on where to build the package would be based on what
branch is being built from, programatically so that we don't have to
keep updating some file somewhere to figure it out.  Maintainers would
not tag themselves, as the buildsystem would build from git hashsums,
and only successful builds would have a human readable tag applied to a
given hashsum, and that would be done by the build system.  There would
be no need to translate %dist values on the local user's system.

That's what I got so far, I'm hoping to walk through a typical scenario
with folks at FUDCon to see how well my plan stands up.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!