Local users get to play root?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Nov 19 17:02:38 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 10:32 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> said:
> > That is incorrect, unless somehow your ssh tunneled VNC registers as
> > "local console login", which I doubt.  In your case, none of your users
> > would be allowed to install software/updates.
>
> VNC looks like a local console login.
> --
> Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>
> Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
> I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.

Not according to what I'm being told by the Desktop folks, at least as
far as PolicyKit and ConsoleKit are concerned.

<Oxf13> hrm, in the world of PolicyKit and ConsoleKit, does a VNC login
look like a "console" login for the sake of policy?
<hughsie> Oxf13: no
<hughsie> if you log in, then start remote desktop, and then allow other
users to connect then it does
<hughsie> if you're just using vnc to create a virtual desktop for users
then it's not on_console, so to speak

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!